Think skin care is just for Women?
Today, men are on the competitive edge more than ever. By taking care of their skin, it will show that take care of themselves!
You’ve finally won the hard-fought experience and confidence it takes to be at the top of your career game. But if you’re over 40 you are also starting to see some signs of aging, such as fine lines, crow’s feet, or redness in the skin that younger men don’t have and maybe you feel you are losing some ground because of it. Those younger men may not have anything on you as far as experience or knowledge, but by the end of the week you are looking so tired and stressed, it’s as though you need to take a vacation. And though there are economic and social benefits that come from looking your best, it’s not about looking younger, as much as it is about looking well-rested, less stressed and more relaxed. In short, age fighting treatments are not just for women anymore.
Men often find it hard and are embarrassed to ask about cosmetic procedures or skin care. In this article we’ll discuss some of the non-surgical procedures we have to offer that have no down time or minimal down time so that they are not noticeable to your friends and colleagues. Some of the most common (and easily treatable) early signs of aging are larger pores, baggy or saggy eyes (tired looking), broken capillaries or redness of the face. Other signs include scarring from ingrown hairs or early adult acne scars are that starting to show a little more prominently.
Below are the treatments that are the most common for men to undergo, starting from the lightest and least amount of down time. Follows is an explanation of what is it, what it does, and how much time it takes.
- Microdermabrassion– A quick way to rejuvenate skin by using organic or aluminoxide crystals that flow through a tube(like sanding) that helps to remove dead skin cell, exfoliate the skin and clean out pores. The procedure takes about 20 minutes and there is no down time.
- Hydro-Infusion Treatment– This is a procedure that exfoliates by using light chemicals, organically grown live cells and an extra boost of oxygen to address dehydration of the skin. This treatment is a great way to relax and get so much more than just a regular facial, as the process is tailored to meet your skin’s needs. The procedure takes about 30 minutes and there is no down time.
- Botox- Botulinum A toxins are injected into the muscle but don’t be afraid of this procedure, as it would take 100 times the amount used to actually poison your system. It has been around for years and the only occasional side effect is a slight bruising. Of course, men don’t want the same procedure as women. just softening of lines and preventing them from becoming too deep. Mainly used on the forehead and around the eyes, the procedure takes about 15 minutes and there is no down time.
- Hair Removal/Treatment of In-Grown Hairs– (Not done as much for professional as for social reasons.) There are areas that sometimes need attention, such as the ears, nose or the top of chest and back if it tends to stick out through your shirt. In-grown hairs can lead to scarring that shows up more as we age and there are treatments and products that can reduce this, if not eliminate it completely. This procedure can take anywhere from five to 30 minutes depending on what areas and there is no down time.
- Chemical Treatments –Peeling is a great way to remove damaged layers of dead surface skin and shed dead skin cells while giving you a youthful look. Depending upon on age and how many lines, acne, or discoloration is being addressed, treatment varies as to what chemical is used. Treatment time is usually 15 minutes and down time can be anywhere from none to a week, depending upon the chemicals used.
- Laser Light or Photo Rejuvenation—These are great for men who have broken capillaries usually associated with drinking, facial redness or age spots. On men these treatments are performed more lightly than on a woman, as women’s ability to wear makeup is taken into consideration. Because it is performed in a much lighter volume it may require multiple treatments. The procedure takes 15 minutes and sun exposure must be minimized for a few hours after the procedure.
- Fraxel/CO2 Fractional Lasers– These are good at shrinking pores and minimize deeper scarring that has been left behind by infected ingrown hairs or acne suffered as a young adult. These scars deepen as you lose facial volume which is typically noticeable in the 40’s and becomes more prominently with age. The treatment replaces lost volume and helps rid fine lines. The procedure takes about 30 minutes and is a cutting edge non-surgical treatment. Down time lasts approximately five days.
- CO2 Laser Peeling– This is an erbium laser that is used to burn off dead surface cells, as well as rid the skin surface of any risen areas that have built up. . The procedure takes about 20 min and there can be no direct exposure to the sun for 5 days. There is down time of about 5 days, which is actually more of a redness and streaky look that will disappear within three to five days.
Additionally, there are at-home treatments you can perform yourself. Take care of puffy eyes with eye creams specially formulated for men. There is also a new machine that can be used on a daily basis that helps to relax lines and drain some of the puffiness while treating the eyes with antioxidants, plumpers and oxygen. This is been a great new device for men and only takes one minute out of your day. Antioxidants and sun block are the most basic defenses for men. Most men are outdoors much more than women engaging in activities such as golfing, fishing, yard work and more. It is important to wear a sun block as a daily moisturizer plus have a antioxidant applied daily; this will help protect the skin from harmful rays and prevent the cells from damaging so quickly.
So remember men, you are on the competitive edge and you need to take care of your skin and show that you take care of yourself!